Labels

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Q4:How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

PLANNING AND RESEARCHING: 
The first stage of the whole project was to make sure that we had researched our chosen project well. We did extensive research into the horror genre to see what kind of horror trailer we wanted to come up with. We used popular search engines such as Google and Wikipedia to research on the history of horror. The research that we had collected from the search engines inspired us with how we wanted our trailer and our ancillary tasks to look like.


The  most useful tool that allowed us to look into horror trailer was YouTube. YouTube was one of the most important factors in our researching, which allowed us to analyse horror trailers thoroughly. YouTube was crucially important in showing us what direction our horror trailer would take. We knew that we wanted to create something unique which had not been created before. We kept watching horror trailers making sure that our ideas would be unique and would have little elements of other professional horror trailers. We were highly inspired by the horror trailer 'The Final' where we found on YouTube.

To research for ideas and inspirations, the internet was the main source in where we would visit magazine sites such as EMPIRE, PREMIERE FILM and horror magazines, FANGORIA and HORRORHOUND.

BLOGGER:

I had used Blogger again this year as I felt that it was successful in my last years foundation portfolio and would again be as successful this year. Blogger allows me to keep my work up-to-date and manage my time effectively, as I was able to priorities my time equally from planning to filming. My teacher was also able to look at my work easily on blogger and help me on making improvements. Throughout this course I think that Blogger has been an excellent place in where I was able to keep my work without knowing that I would lose pieces of work. Overall, it has made it much easier for me to keep looking back on my work and to keep improving without major problems or issues.

SKYDRIVE: 
As a group we created our own Hotmail account and used a fantastic feature called 'Sky-Drive' which allowed us to upload our clips that we had filmed for our horror trailer. It was easy for our group to go online and view the clips then edit segments their selves. This made sure that we did not waste time and used our time effectively.


SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES:



Social Networking sites was another important factor in providing me feedback from my promotional package. It was also used to advertise my products so that audiences were aware of my products and showed me if I had met the conventions of horror throughout the three tasks. Even though there was mainly advantages in using the social network sites, there was some disadvantages too for example a lack of responses from the audience. Even though I was asking for audiences to watch and comment, there was some comments that were not appropriate for my work. However, I would always use social networking sites to promote as its an effective and quick way to get your product out to the audiences eyes. 

PHOTOSHOP:

Photoshop was used mainly to make my two ancillary tasks. As I had used the software last year I was familiar with it and was able to use it quickly to make the movie poster and magazine front cover. I loved using Photoshop as I was comfortable with it and kept going back to make improvements after showing my target audience the drafts poster and magazine front cover. I did have a couple of technical difficulties with Photoshop but was able to use Macromedia Fireworks to sort out the issues.   

MACROMEDIA FIREWORKS:

Macromedia was a software that I had to get used to this year, when I had problems with Photoshop I had to use another software which was similar. Macromedia Fireworks allowed me to edit parts of my two ancillary tasks. For example, the bit in where I have circled red was added on in Macromedia Fireworks after I had saved  it in a wrong area on Photoshop. This again allowed me to add improvements on my poster to make sure that it looked professional and I was keeping the the right conventions of a movie poster. 

MICROSOFT POWERPOINT:
Microsoft Powerpoint was a good software in where we could plan our ideas for our horror trailer and share them with each other and the class. Microsoft Powerpoint was easy to use as I've used it before many times. 

FILMING EQUIPMENT

CAMERAS:

This is the camera that we had used to film our trailer. Even though we were unfortunate to not be able to use professional filming camera we were happy as this camera had a good quality to it and was HD. This gave us a professional look to our trailer. If we did have a budget for our trailer we would of loved to use filming camera's like the one below. 

TRIPOD: 
The tripod was a useful filming equipment as it was used in the majority of the filming of our trailer. It helped us shoot our still scenes and the scenes in where we had to pan, zoom and tilt. 

WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER:

At the beginning of the making of our horror trailer, we played around and tried to use Windows Movie Maker which was the only available software on our school computers. We felt that Windows Movie Maker was a difficult software to use as we was not familiar with it and it had basic features which we found difficult to use to keep our trailer looking as professional as it could. Luckily, we were fortunate to use I-movie which helped us significantly in the editing of our horror trailer. 


I-MOVIE: 
I-movie was used for the editing of the horror trailer. The software which was used on a i-mac laptop allowed us to edit together a professional looking horror trailer. The software was also easy to use and did not waste time for our group. We were able to keep going back to make improvements on the trailer. When editing we were able to keep to the horror conventions easily by cutting the lengths of our video's (if they were too long) to create a fast paced, tensed horror trailer. Overall, I felt that we were fortunate to use the i-movie software, it was easy to use and made our trailer look professional that followed the horror conventions. 

Throughout the process of the making of our ancillary tasks to the making of our trailer, the technology that we used was easy enough to use and gave us a great trailer in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment